St. Alban's Anglican Church
1907/01/01 to 1907/12/31
Statement of Significance
Description of Historic Place
St. Alban’s Anglican Church is a Municipal Heritage Property located on a corner lot within the Village of Pelly. The property features a single storey wood-frame building and freestanding belfry.
heritage value of St. Alban’s Anglican Church lies in its association
with the Anglican parish. The local Anglican congregation began
conducting Sunday service in the building then know as Midhurst School
around 1908. The building was moved to Pelly in 1909 and located on the
school grounds. In 1910 the parish purchased the building and moved it
across the street to its present site. The building was subsequently
dedicated and decorated by the parishioners. A simple freestanding bell
tower was built near the entrance. Although weekly services ceased in
the 1980’s, the building is still occasionally used and remains a
landmark in the community.
The heritage value of St. Alban’s Anglican Church also resides in its vernacular architecture. This building was constructed in 1907 by the Midhurst School District #1530. In 1909, the building was moved to Pelly and the interior was remodelled. The simple, two-room design is typical of period schoolhouses and exemplary of wood-frame construction. Several of the fixtures in the sanctuary, such as the pulpit and communion rail, were donated by members of the community.
Village of Pelly Bylaw No. 5-94.